Although the Zip format is predominantly used as an archive and package format for preservation and interchange of collections of digital files, it is increasingly used as a container for multiple-part data organizations that are unrelated to organization of files in file systems.
Use of Zip as a carrier for document formats that have multiple, coordinated parts is now common. The Document Container Profile adapts the Zip format to this specific purpose. The Profile is employed in nfoWorks implementations of Zip-based document formats. The Profile tracks with the International Standard ISO/IEC 21320-1, Document Container File format based on Zip.
The Profile goes beyond DCF Core by providing test assertions and test/verification suites. There is also additional provision for incorporation under profiles for higher-level applications of DCF, as in OpenDocument Format (ODF) Package provisions.
- Document Container Profile Key Resources
- nfoWorks Usage of the Document Container Profile
- Folio Catalog
The following resources are the backbone of the effort to establish a multiple-use nfoWorks Document Container Profile that has broad usage for container-born artifacts and reference implementations under nfoWorks:
- 1.1 PKWARE APPNOTE 6.3.3 (cache)
This specification of the Zip format is the basis for Document Container Profile 1.0. Specifications of the profile and test assertions for verification of its observance are directly or indirectly based on provisions of this specification.
- 1.2 Document Container File - Core (cache)
Information technology -- Document Container File -- Part 1: Core. International Standard ISO/IEC 21320-1, First Edition 2015-10-15. Part of material available at <
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/i ndex.html> (cf. entry for Standard ISO/IEC 21320-1:2015)
- 1.3 OpenDocument Package Specification (tbd)
- 1.4 Open Package Conventions (OPC) (tbd)
- 1.5 EPUB 3 Open Container Format 3.0 (OCF) (tbd)
This section will be expanded as the profile is applied in nfoWorks functions.
- n130401b: Document Container Profile [latest]
- n130401c: Resources and Preliminaries
- n130401a: Diary & Job Jar
- n130401-cache: Document Cache
local copies of essential resources for preservation purposes and availability in conjunction with Document Container Profile application
- n130401-secluded: Secluded Resources
cached materials for which access and redistribution are not permitted, secluded in an inaccessible location for preservation of provenance with regard to reliance on those resources. Known public sources are provided in the
- Hamilton, Dennis E.
- Document Container Profile. nfoWorks nfoNote folio n130401 0.0.3, February 25, 2017. Accessed at <http://nfoWorks.org/notes/2013/04/n130401.htm>.
created 2013-04-17-18:19 -0700 (pdt) by