This is an initial post for ramping up the Blogger creation of Pursuing Harmony. The blog will replace the manually-created diary that was first used with nfoWorks. This initial page is created to cause population of the blog, its archives, and the RSS feed.
The blog starts out using Jason Sutter's "Sand Dollars" format, one of the supplied Blogger templates. I will customize that to achieve my preferred style once operation of the blog is confirmed.
Customization happens after blog editing and posting is confirmed to be functioning.
My first problem was attempting to use SFTP. I reverted back to plain-old FTP to make sure the FTP log-in could succeed. This wasn't working the same as previously, so I tried a different path name. The problem may have been a lag in set-up of the account that I created for Blogger to use in posting to the web site. After one false-start, it all started working.
1. Update 2008-08-12T21:55Z After succeeding with this initial post, I decided not to use the Blogger NavBar. If I want to add a search panel for searching the blog and/or the site, I will do that later.
On getting Windows Live Writer working with the site, I attempted to establish an upload directory for images included in the blog. LiveWriter reported that it could not confirm the URL. I will make sure the new directory is established and give it a construction structure. I should then be able to have LiveWriter use it.
I am also going to move the archive directory out of the top-level blog directory, so that backup and maintenance is easier.
Live Writer reminded me to add tags to this post, and I will do that now too. I see that the categories work differently and are independent of tags. I must not be so careless in choosing categories.
2. Update 2008-08-12T23:34Z The archive is moved and the image directory was pre-populated with an index.htm so that Live Writer's concern for the folder was removed. It is now time to demonstrate that picture uploading works:
3. Update 2008-08-13T00:03Z After I figured out what time it is here (for adjusting to GMT in these little update items), I also managed to correct the URL for where the images are so that, not only are they uploaded, they are also correctly-reachable from the blog post.
My next effort is to make sure that I have a back-up procedure for mirroring the blog content on my development machine along with the other parts of nfoWorks.
After that has concluded, I will need to start working on the template.
4. Update 2008-08-13T00:12Z Well, the Neighborhood Rose images are on the blog site, but Live Writer fails to notice that I corrected the URL in my FTP settings. So I am linking in the above picture manually. I will introduce an additional image so that it can upload with the new settings.
Now I can introduce the backup procedure and then start adjusting the template.
5. Update 2008-08-13T00:53Z One concern I had is the automatic creation of subfolders to hold images from separate posts. I have verified that no subfolder index is available on the server and there is no way to explore the images but via image elements on the blog pages. That is satisfactory.
6. Update 2008-08-13T20:25Z I have carried out one manual backup. Before taking the customization to the next level, I have made a couple of simple touch-ups.
- The title is changed from "Pursuing Harmony" to "nfoWorks: Pursuing Harmony."
- The little e-mail option down near the comments and links line after each blog is removed. The e-mail content is so ugly, devoid of formatting and any images, that I prefer people use other means off of the RSS feed or by using their browser to clip and forward pages.
The next step is to construct the safety net and fire-drill procedure for the blog. It has been some time since a blog has been corrupted, but that is no reason to start operating without a net.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]